Wednesday 3 February 2016

TV Series: Cold Case: Honor (# 3.8) (2005)


The Cold Case team
Before 'Honor', I could take or leave Cold Case. The stories were sometimes interesting but I didn't originally identify with the regular cast, finding Lil's (Kathryn Morris) unrealistic hair and unearthly pallor a bit irritating although I've come to appreciate her and Scotty (Danny Pino) over time. I loved the use of music from the era of the original crimes to set the scene, something which is particularly exquisite in this episode.



John Allsopp as Carl Burton
In fact, 'Honor' far surpassed the others I had seen in this and everything else, partly because of the nature of the tragedy and partly because of the faultless, immensely simpatico performance of John Allsopp as the damaged Vietnam vet, Carl Burton, heart-wrenching from the first notes of  Elton John's 'Rocket Man' as he tries to reconnect with a son who doesn't recognise him, to the last strains of Gordon Lightfoot's 'If You Could Read My Mind' (was music really better in the 70s?), the final, moving salute and Carl's incredibly sad eyes. Now I can't listen to that song without becoming emotional. But this is what good TV should do, be put together so perfectly that it can affect you in this way.

More on acting/performance from the Squirrel at secretsquirrelshorts.

Check out my reviews on IMDB and Amazon too.

No comments:

Post a Comment